Stockholm City - SDF Norrmalm
Norrmalm's district administration in Stockholm has, under its own direction, produced a report based on the use of the platform Bigbelly – trash cans with solar-powered compression and recycle bins for sorting in a public environment. In addition to the direct climate impact, the administration has gained a higher knowledge and awareness of how to optimize the deployment of garbage baskets and optimize transport.
Extract from final report
- From 118,000 to 2,731 discharges per year, a change of -97%.
- Transport decreased by 37,894 km (-92%).
- The number of garbage bags decreased by 115,096 (-97%)
- CO2 co-emissions decreased by 35,518 kg CO2 (-92.4%).
- Total collected rubbish 1,239,507 kg.
- Sorting at source: glass 3706 kg, paper 2540 kg.
Results are based on 124 units from Bigbelly period 2013-2017.
Fill Levels & Compaction
Bigbelly is an innovative platform with over 50,000 existing devices in 54 countries that communicate and create a sustainable management of debris in the public space without connection to the power grid. The units report their status and filling level directly to those responsible for more efficient route planning.
Bigbelly High Capacity has 5-8 times more capacity than a traditional trash can and provides space for 570 liters of uncompressed debris of the same size without allowing pests to access the contents. The platform provides added value for both the business, the environment and the visitors.